UCTD Support Forum
Welcome to the UCTD Forum! Please Log In

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

UCTD Support Forum
Welcome to the UCTD Forum! Please Log In
UCTD Support Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UCTD Support Forum

Support Forum for people diagnosed with Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease

You are not connected. Please login or register

Complaining cheerfully?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Complaining cheerfully? Empty Complaining cheerfully? Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 pm

Bluetit

Bluetit
New to UCTD Forum

Hello UCTDers! I've just become one of you. I'm a 73-year-old woman, I live alone, have been newly diagnosed, and am now on Prednisone and Plaquenil.

I have been feeling sick for 6 months, but I made an effort to live normally. During this period, I found that having an illness that wasn't outwardly visible meant that there was a problem about how to behave with other people. Should one be plaintive or stoic? If you complain, people get bored, or tell you to think positive. If you keep a stiff upper lip, they take all you do for granted and don't consider that many normal activities are quite demanding for you (to begin with, they buttonhole you and keep you standing a long time on a street corner while you're only longing to get home and lie down... or they ask for burdensome favors... and so on).

So which is the best attitude? I have concluded that a little complaining is essential, for defensive reasons. But the best plan is to be brisk and concise, to state the most important facts (with no understatements), and then to begin to joke about the whole situation. I have started a collection of suitable wisecracks!

I'm glad you have emoticons on this forum! Smile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum